Caprese grilled cheese sandwich roll ups are the perfect way to elevate the classic grilled cheese.
Is there anything more comforting than a grilled cheese sandwich?
I think not.
Technically a grilled cheese sandwich consists of only two things: Bread, and cheese. Ok, maybe some butter. But that’s it!
As soon as you add one more ingredient, like a slice of tomato or a pickle, the grilled cheese turns into a “melt”. But I never let facts stand in the way of a delicious meal!
Today’s Making It Modern episode is all about the grilled cheese sandwich.
The first is a classic recipe: the grilled cheese roll up using Velveeta. As for the second version, you should watch the episode to get the full effect:
Didn’t those caprese grilled cheese sandwich rolls ups look delish? Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you never miss an episode!
Here is a picture you can Pin to save for later:
What I love about these two recipes is that you can easily make the classic grilled cheese roll ups for the kids and then make the caprese grilled cheese roll ups for the adults!
Don’t forget to make the tomato soup that goes along with these. The shape of the roll ups is perfect for dipping!
Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich Roll Ups
- 4 oz goat cheese room temperature
- 4 oz cream cheese room temperature
- ½ cup roasted tomatoes (how-to HERE)
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4-6 Tbsp melted butter
- 8 slices of soft bread
- Begin by combining the goat cheese and cream cheese that have been brought to room temperature.
- Then mix in about ½ a cup of roasted tomatoes.
- Fold in the chopped basil, plus salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the caprese roll ups, start by slicing the crusts off of a soft white bread. I used potato bread but any soft bread will do.
- Then, using a rolling pin, carefully flatten the bread piece by piece.
- Cover one side of the bread in melted butter and then smooth the caprese spread over the other side and roll the whole thing up!
- Cook in a skillet for a few minutes on each side until golden!
- Serve with roasted tomato and corn soup.