When I was a teenager, I loved clipping beauty tips out of ladies magazines and keeping them in a notebook to reference later.
I tried all kinds of crazy things!
Some of them worked, some of them didn’t.
One of the beauty tips that did work was a tomato-based recipe for facial salsa which then became a favorite of my mom, my sister and myself!
Fresh garden tomatoes act as an astringent and strong cleanser for oily skin. Sea salt exfoliates and cooling cucumber combats inflammation. Cilantro is sort of an oddity in a facial but you’ll find it in beauty masks, shampoo and perfumes. While we typically reserve it for guacamole and taco-topping, cilantro provides many amazing benefits to the skin including detoxifying, antibacterial and it’s packed with Vitamin C. It also fights blemishes.
A few weeks ago, my mom called me to ask if I still remembered that awesome tomato facial recipe so she could make a batch. This facial is kept in a jar in the fridge so the cool, refreshing mix really hits the spot in the heat of the summer. Not to mention, the fresh scent is wonderful!
Fresh Salsa Facial Recipe
1. You will need:
- 1 medium fresh tomato
- 1 bunch cilantro
- fine sea salt
- 1 medium cucumber
2. Seed the tomato and chop into chunks. Spin it through the food processor just enough to dice it up.
3. Peel ½ cucumber and puree in a food processor and then mince 1/4 cup cilantro.
4. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl along with 2 tsp fine sea salt and mix well. Store your facial salsa in a jelly jar with a lid in the fridge for up to one week. I put a label on mine so no one tries to have it with chips!
5. To use, spoon out a few tablespoons and massage the salsa all over the face, avoiding contact with eyes. Rinse with fresh, cool water and follow with your daily moisturizer.
This summer, when you’re planning your vegetable garden, consider cucumbers, tomatoes and some fresh herbs for your dinner table and for a beautiful complexion!
For more beauty tips and tricks, try these out…
- How to make shampoo at home
- A quick trick to boost your eyelashes
- The cat eye: It’s easier than you think!