Quinoa Salad with Mango & Blueberries
I can’t believe that only a few short years ago quinoa was a fancy new ingredient that nobody had heard of before. Well nobody in the United States. These days I would consider this fun little seed/grain a staple! I serve quinoa salads all the time because they are a fun way to add a pop of flavor to my meal. I was serving a Mexican inspired meal the other day and needed something light and refreshing to go along side the vegetarian enchiladas I was serving. I decided a fruit salad would be nice but I wanted to elevate it. I turned to my trusty Pinterest boards and found this salad that I thought was a good starting point for what I ended up creating. I changed the dressing up a bit, and ended up switching to mint from basil, and the final dish was a total hit with my guests. Everyone wanted the recipe so I told them I would blog it!
- 1 cup of dried quinoa
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 mango peeled and diced
- 2 Persian cucumbers peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest (about 1 large lemon)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar or honey
- 6 Tbsp oil. I used a combo of canola and olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper.
- 1-2 Tbsp minced mint
- Cook the quinoa according to the directions on the package. Let cool.
- In the meanwhile, dice up your fruit and veggies.
- In a large bowl, toss together the salad ingredients. You can make this up to a day ahead and let sit in the fridge.
- To make the dressing, in a jar combine all of the dressing ingredients and shake. Pour over salad and toss before serving.
- If you want to make the dressing ahead of time, wait to add the mint because the leaves turn black after a few hours.
Be sure to sign up to my weekly newsletter! Every week I post a new video that can only be seen by those who are subscribed. (HERE)