I was a vegetarian for about 9 years before I reintroduced fish and poultry back into my diet, and if there is one thing I learned during my time it was people freak out over what to make if you are coming over to dinner. I told my friends we (both my husband and I were vegetarian) were perfectly happy to eat the side dishes, which were usually made out of vegetables, but they still were baffled as to what we would eat. The good news is, I have found the perfect vegetarian Thanksgiving main dish for your holiday dinner party: Pumpkin Lasagne! It is the perfect combination of seasonal ingredients, with lots of gooey cheese and a savory pumpkin flavor. I made this last year for my vegetarian Thanksgiving guests and it was the hit of the dinner! Even the carnivores were clamoring for more.
If you decide to make this for Thanksgiving, be sure to print out the recipe (seen below) because I assure you, your guests will want it!
And here is the recipe:
Vegetarian Thanksgiving Main Dish: Four Cheese Pumpkin Lasagne (serves 6-8)
- 1.5 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- fresh nutmeg to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1-1.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1-1.5 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1-1.5 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- No boil lasagne noodles
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a bowl mix the pumpkin, ricotta cheese, sugar, syrup, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and pepper.
- In a separate bowl combine the grated cheeses
- Spread a small amount of the pumpkin mixture on the bottom of a lasagne pan. Then dip a few noodles in warm water and layer on the bottom of the dish. Then spread more of the pumpkin mixture over the noodles and then take a handful of the cheese and sprinkle on top of the pumpkin. Then dip more noodles in water and then layer the pumpkin, cheese, noodles, etc until you finish with the cheese on top. Cover with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes. Take off the foil and bake until top is browned 5-8 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes and then serve!