Have you ever seen that episode of Friends where Monica cooks for Thanksgiving and has to make like 6 different potato dishes because each guest has their “favorite”? Makes me laugh every time. If your family is cemented to their beloved potato dish for Thanksgiving, maybe it is time to shake things up a bit. This apple potato gratin has the creaminess of mashed potatoes, the sweetness of yams, the savory kick from the gruyere cheese and a hint of spice from the cayenne pepper. Once you’ve tried this gratin I swear it will become your family’s new “favorite” potato dish.
The first thing you have to do is peel and thinly slice 2 pounds of green apples. I used my food processor, which makes the job easy but not quite as pretty as hand slicing or using a mandolin. Then I dunked them in lemon water so they didn’t brown while I did the same thing to 2 pounds of potatoes. Finally I shredded 8 ounces of gruyere cheese, also in the food processor.
Next you need to get out your spices. You will need 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp white pepper, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper. Though I kept my spices separate because it looked prettier in the photos, you can combine your flavorings into a bowl and use as directed.
Start by layering 1/3 of the potatoes on the bottom of your lasagna dish, followed by 1/2 of the apples. Sprinkle the spice mixture evenly over the apples (not all the spice mixture, just use your fingers to pinch the mixture and sprinkle over the top lightly as shown in the photo above. Then layer 1/3 of the cheese.
Continue in this manner until you end with the cheese layer. Pour 2 cups of heavy cream over the entire casserole and cover with foil. Bake at 375 for 1 hour. Then remove the foil and bake for another 25-30 minutes until the top is golden and bubbly. Use a fork or knife to make sure the potatoes are fully cooked and then remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. This will stay hot for a minimum of 40 minutes. Try not to eat the entire thing yourself!
Apple Potato Gratin
- 2 pounds green apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 oz gruyere cheese grated
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ garlic powder
- ¼ cayenne pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Peel and thinly slice the apples and potatoes in a food processor. Shred the cheese in the processor as well.
- Combine the salt, pepper, nutmeg, garlic powder and cayenne in a small bowl.
- Start with ⅓ of the potatoes layered over the bottom of the lasagna dish. Follow with ½ of the apples, then a sprinkle of the spices evenly over the top. Next layer ⅓ of the cheese. Follow with ⅓ of the potatoes, ½ of the apples, more of the spices, and then finish with the last. ⅓ of the potatoes, sprinkle of spices, and ⅓ of the cheese. Pour the cream over the top and cover with foil. Bake for 1 hour at 375. Then remove the foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes until golden and bubbly.
- Serves 6-10 with zero leftovers. I suggest making two!