Wednesday, August 21

Retro Hair Braids Tutorial

retro hair braids tutorial

I have a special treat in store for you kittens! I finally got around to making a retro hair braids tutorial video of one of my favorite hairstyles. I call it “retro braids” because it isn’t really specifically vintage, but there is a certain retro flair to it. It is kind of like a French braid, but instead of running the braid down the back of your head you run two braids on either side. Then they meet at the bottom and you turn that into a bun and pin it into place. It sounds a bit complicated, but I swear, if you can make a braid you can do this hair style.

So what do you ladies think? Is this a hairstyle you might try to do on your own hair?

1. You are just the cutest! I adore your charm! I haven’t tried this exact style, but I’ve been doing a similar style with a 40s twist where each braid would be and then large pincurls/buns at the nape of my neck. It’s SO easy.

xx
    Rachael of THE PARADERS

• The Glamourous Housewife says:

Yes! I do that too, but for some reason I do that style in the winter and braids in the summer.

2. I think it’s really sweet and classic, youthful and so tremendously pretty. This kind of braided ‘do is much more my style than the plethora of messy, 21st century ones that have been all over the place for the past few years.

3. Porcelina says:

I have to try this!! It looks so cute on you, and I can’t believe how fast you did that braid.

My hair is very silky and would slip out of the braids straight away, but I heard a tip on a different blog this week saying use dry shampoo first to make slippery hair easier to handle.

Will report back if I have any success!

P x

• The Glamourous Housewife says:

Yes, try the dry shampoo. Another trick is to buy a hairspray that is “light” or “brush through”. It isn’t as sticky and can add some friction to your hair. Let me know if it works.

4. Becca says:

Super cute! I’ll definitely try this out! I do a similar style where I start a french braid at the top of my head on one side, and then braid diagonally down the back of my head, tie it off, and then put the rest of my hair up in a bun. It’s my go-to 5 minute fancy hairstyle!

-Becca
    Ladyface Blog

5. breanna says:

cute hair style and I love that ring!

xo
    bre

brerogers.blogspot.com

6. Adria Ritchie says:

You are simply stunning Bethany! I am totally going to try this! xo

• The Glamourous Housewife says:

It takes a bit of practice to do the braid, but once you get the hang of it I swear it is so quick!

7. Lauren Martin says:

Haha god I just love you. The little sound effects on that video make me giggle. :D I call this hairstyle my….”I haven’t washed my hair in 2 days and I’m not about to” hair style. Braids are my go-to.
    (You’re look much more glamorous)
    Xx
    Lauren M

• The Glamourous Housewife says:

The sound affects make me laugh every single time! And I also wear this hairstyle when I don’t feel like washing my hair.

8. Heather says:

Love this! So going to try this for while I am out on business travel!

9. […] // // Retro braid from the Glamorous House Wife […]

10. Viktoria kostova says:

Your blog is great! I also have one and will appreciate some comments about it ! http://colorfulasarainbow.wordpress.com/