About a week and a half ago I mentioned I was sewing a dress from scratch for the first time in 15 years. It is part of the Summer Of No Pants project going on over at Hideous! Dreadful! Stinky!. In part one I had made a muslin bodice and had repatterned the bodice cups. I had planned on finishing the dress and modeling it for you this week, but unfortunately I ran into a few issues. It turns out making a dress from scratch is really difficult!
To start I got my gorgeous fabric in the mail and realized I didn’t have enough to make a complete garment! I could have sworn there was enough but when I laid all the pattern pieces out there wasn’t enough fabric to make the full bodice. So I decided to find some solid fabric and have it look more like a bodice and skirt then a full dress.
I was thrilled to find almost the exact same shade of bluish-green in a Kona cotton, so off I went making the bodice. Things were fine until I got to this point. It was here I realized the bodice wasn’t going to work out. At. All.
Somehow I really messed up the cups when I repatterned it. They were way too big and too floppy. Plus the whole thing was far too low cut. When I tried it on there was no way it was salvageable. Needless to say I was devastated and seriously considered giving up at this point. But as Tim Gunn says, “make it work!”, so I decided to do just that. I watched the skirt part of the tutorial, and it turns out the printed pattern had two large skirt panels that were unnecessary in the dress we were producing! This meant I actually did have enough fabric to remake the bodice!
I used the front panel, side panels, and back panels of the original pattern, and then draped fabric over the bust to create this sort of bow-like top! I think it turned out pretty well!
The bad news is I ran out of time to finish the hem and line the bodice. But it should only take me about 1.5 hours to complete it. Once it is finished I promise to take some pictures with me in the dress.
The online class that I was taking is called the “Sew Retro Perfect Bombshell Dress” on the website Craftsy. They were so kind as to comp me the class so I could try it out and review it for you ladies. They are also giving away a free class if you enter their contest HERE. I loved the class, even though my bodice didn’t work out quite the way it was supposed to. If I had really wanted to perfect it, I could have asked the lovely ladies on Craftsy for help, but I decided to try something new. Though I like the idea of the bodice, I tend to be a bit modest when it comes to my bust line, and I feel much more comfortable in the top I ended up creating. And to be honest, figuring out a way to get around something that wasn’t working was the most fun I have had in a long time! Now I can’t wait to sew something else, but this time I am going to stick with something much simpler.