Tuesday, January 10

How To Organize Your Refrigerator!

If you enjoyed yesterday’s art cabinet organization, the you will love today’s post! I seem to be obsessed with those green and teal plastic containers I found at Target because I am now determined to organize my entire house with them! Want to see?
Yes, that is my real fridge! Looks pretty, right? Ok, normally I don’t have daffodils in my Big Chill, but I was trying to make it look nice for the photo. I have seen other fridge organization pictures on Pinterest and have been thinking about it for a while. But it wasn’t until I saw those amazing plastic containers that I really followed through.

It wasn’t that my fridge was unorganized, it was the fact that every time I opened it, it wasn’t pretty. I spend a lot of time cooking, so having a refrigerator that made me happy was important to me. Dumb, but important. Now, every time I see those bright green containers I smile!

The actual process was pretty easy. I just organized the containers of food by type then placed them in a box. Simple! I didn’t use anything in my produce bins. I think I would like to figure out a way to beautify those drawers too, but I just love vegetables so much and already think they are lovely to look at.

I did the same thing with my freezer. With that said, I will admit I have a second fridge/freezer in my garage, so a lot of the stuff from the freezer went there. This is not a good use of space, but it sure looks glamorous! I also like having the things I use every day easily accessible, and the food items I don’t use as often in the other freezer.

Now that you have seen my refrigerator and freezer, I have a little story to tell you. Every year my family exchanges ‘funny’ presents for the holidays. This year my sister decided to get me the least glamorous thing she could find. Would you like to see it?

Cat. Butt. Magnets. I kid you not. I about died when I unwrapped my gift, but I decided to use them anyway because they make me laugh every time I see them. So while the inside of my fridge is very glamorous, the outside is decidedly NOT!

So what do you dolls think? Are you going to take the plunge and try to beautify your fridge? Or is it already gorgeous? Let me know in the comments!

1. MistressCatgirl says:

My husband would be SO grossed out by the cat butt magnets. I think they’re funny. I really love your fridge. It’s so awesome. I also like they way everything is in its place. Just grab what you need and go. Great job!

2. Jessica@MakingHomeSweeter says:

IN LOVE with your fridge! I would prettify my fridge too if it looked like yours haha! My fridge is for the *most* part neat, but not pretty. I’ve never thought about using cute organizing bins in my fridge, I’ll have to keep my eyes open next time I’m at Target.

3. Retro Barbie says:

The magnets are a hoot! Fridge looks great. :)

4. Paperdoll says:

Good idea! I have a full drawer in my freezer with ‘fake meat’ in. I did a similar thing with my food cupboard and it too makes me smile when I open the door, whatever makes you happy I say!. X

5. Straight Talking Mama! says:

Wow what a great idea, although fridges in the UK tend to be much smaller to my disgust, I do like US style fridge freezers, we can get them here but at a premium! However even with my smaller fridge I’m going to give this a go, at the moment all my condiments are in a right mess!

6. Trina44 says:

I’m so jealous, you have a big chill fridge, how do you like it? Also, what are your counter tops made of I love how shiny they are, ooohhhhh.

7. Trina44: I love my Big Chill! Works like a charm. The counter tops are a glass composite which I love but they don’t make anymore in that color.

8. Trina44 says:

Wow, I’ve never heard of that, and I ran a construction company for 3 years. When we remodel the kitchen, I’m definitely getting a Big Chill. Unfortunately I just can’t see spending 4 grand on the stove.

9. I can’t even begin to describe how much I adore the fact that you have organizational containers at work in your fridge and freezer! Nothing short of inspiringly awesome!!!!!

Tons of hugs,

10. contessa says:

I so want a big chill frig ! I could buy a used car for what they are asking , around $5,000 with icemaker in red . maybe someday …….

11. Sanne says:

The cat butts made me laugh too. :) In Denmark we say that the cat has got a new tail, it is the hole from the old one you see under it.

12. la-la-lisa says:

Great job! I love the various bins. Great idea. The only thing, and this is a non issue for vegetarians, is putting the meat (chicken) so high up and unprotected. I used to live in LA and worked in hotel manning for a cruise ship co. One of the things you will have your cat butt fined out the wazzoo for is putting your meat above any other foods (especially veggies). This is a big no no. In theory, raw meat juice can drip onto foods below. When you’re talking veggies that will be served raw, this is especially unsafe. I worked with a professional organizer lady and she made the same mistake in our fridge — bless her heart. There’s a reason why the meat drawer is on the bottom.

• The Glamourous HousewifeThe Glamourous Housewife says:

Yes, professional kitchens have a lot of regulations to keep from spreading germs. I used to work as a caterer and we had to wipe down the kitchen with bleach-water all the time. Can’t say I do that in my own home. The good news is I only purchase one brand of chicken and I have yet to get a leaky package. But that is good advice for those who are worried about leaky chicken.

13. Angie says:

I love the baskets idea! I wonder where in the UK is equivalent to Target?
    I have an American style fridge freezer so am going to go on a basket hunt and use this idea!!

14. [...] Once your fridge is looking refreshed, keep it streamlined and organized for good by organize food in clearly labeled baskets and/or containers. [...]

15. I love it!! I think my husband would have it demolished in a week though. I used to work as a cook for an adult day program so I became obsessed with proper food storage (no meats on the top shelf!!) but living with a guy, I had to let it slide a little bit. Speaking of food and cat butts, my sister calls banana chips cat butts! (and oddly, I still eat them!):P

16. […] (via The Glamorous Housewife.) […]